To help decrease the 900,000 tons of trash that Americans throw away between Thanksgiving and Christmas, try the eco-friendly tips below.
- Conserve energy by using long-lasting LED lights on a timer.
- Reuse old gift cards and make them into name tags for new gifts.
- Send e-cards instead of buying new ones.
- Use old magazines, newspapers and calendars as gift wrap.
- When entertaining, avoid using disposable plates and napkins. Instead, recruit family to help wash and dry dishes.
- Instead of buying holiday decorations for your dinner table, use natural pinecones, leaves, branches and evergreen boughs.